Medical Laboratory Internship is an obligatory period of experiential learning spanning 24 weeks where the graduate of the Biomedical Sciences/Medical Laboratory Sciences is trained in the clinical diagnostic laboratory to acquire the knowledge, skill, and competencies required to function as an independent Medical Laboratory Technologist.
This internship period is mandatory for graduates of Biomedical Sciences/Medical Laboratory Sciences for taking the Medical Laboratory Technologist Licensing examination of the Ministry of Health and Prevention, UAE.
Gulf Medical University is offering the Internship program in collaboration with Thumbay Laboratories. Thumbay laboratories are approved for medical laboratory internship by the Ministry of Health and Prevention, UAE. Thumbay Labs is a global chain of ultramodern, comprehensive, fully automated laboratories in Dubai, Ajman, Fujairah, and Sharjah. The central reference lab which is accredited by College of American Pathologists (CAP) is built on the premises of Gulf Medical University, Ajman.
Aims of the internship
The aims of the internship are to
- Provide ‘on the job’ experience under close supervision.
- Provide opportunities to attain appropriate higher skills and competencies before entering the work-place as laboratory/research/industry personnel.
- Give an insight into the practice of the chosen profession
- Serve as a strong motivating factor for the learner to continue and specialize further in the chosen field of study.
- Provide a crucial operational link between the educational program and joining the workforce.
Eligibility for Internship
Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences degree, Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences degree or equivalent
Valid BLS Certification
How to Apply?
The following documents are required as part of the internship application:
- Updated 2-page CV listing your personal details, educational qualifications, career goals, your interests, achievements
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Letter of Good Standing
- College / University Transcripts
- Final Degree or Provisional Degree Certificate
- Valid BLS Provider Certificate
- Valid passport with valid UAE visa (For local: Family Book)
- Valid Emirates ID
- Birth Certificate
- 6 Recent Passport size photo (white background)
- Medical Fitness Certificate (Vaccination): BCG, HBV, and Tetanus are mandatory.
- Hemophilus Influenza is optional.